Sunday, March 7, 2010

yo majesty-- "futuristically speaking... never be afraid" [album]

My new favorite group is Yo Majesty.
I picked up their album "Futuristically Speaking... Never Be Afraid" at a Sound Fix record shop in Williamsburg, just because the cover caught my full attention. "The end of captain misogyny" I mean really, how could I pass that up?

And this is truly a GREAT album. Rapper Shunda K and singer Jwl B put down lyrics that are tight, hilarious, deep and infinitely complex, over crazy-hot beats by the electro group HardFeelingsUK. Finally, an album I can play that makes people move, think and feel good all at once. Yo Majesty is breaking down the traditional barrier between good lyricism and dance-able production, and the barrier between "conscious," uplifting, positive messages and funny, sexy, wild beats. and its about time! Thank you, Yo Majesty, for giving a woman dj some great dance music she's actually proud to slap at a party... Keep it coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment